CHICKEN SALT MARTINIS AND HAWAIIAN PIZZA COCKTAILS
Media Release: 5 September 2023
Take a trip down memory lane with an immersive new cocktail experience at waterfront rooftop cocktail bar, Smoke at Barangaroo House.
The new menu, ‘Memories’, was created to evoke some of our oldest and fondest memories – chicken salt on fish and chips, oranges at halftime, the smell of freshly cut grass. A homage to the golden age of anticipation of Y2K and the Olympics. The spirit of halftime soccer breaks. Backstreet Boys bangers. The quirky charm of dial-up internet. The menu is ready to connect with your tastebuds, emotions, and memories of a simpler time.
Smoke’s bar manager, Jai Lyons, and his team have created eight signature cocktails inspired by some of their favourite collective memories. “Memories is all about a fun and playful way to reminisce about things that are universally Australian and make every sip a trip down memory lane. As a team, we wanted to really push our creativity – all have an element of theatre when served and we’re making all syrups, vinegars, purees, infused spirits and wines, and liqueurs in-house using techniques including sous-vide, clarification, switching, force carbonation, and cold infusion.”
- Half Time Orange is a nod to sporting matches and comes served with an edible jello orange wedge. The boozy, citrus forward drink is made with Patron Reposado ‘switched’ with blood orange, sweet vermouth, carrot and tamarind-infused Campari. If you love a negroni, this is for you.
- Chicken Salt Martini is salty and booze-driven, made with Four Pillars’ olive leaf gin and a house-made chicken salt sherry and rice syrup. It’s garnished with a deep-fried potato twill, Smoke’s modern take on the humble chip.
- Livin’ is Easy evokes the scent of freshly cut summer grass. It’s floral and refreshing and made with house-made mandarin vinegar; house-made karkalla (sea herb) and rose geranium cordial; Bombay Premier Cru gin; and Aperol. Force carbonated to add some bubbles, it’s served tableside with a spritz of cut grass scent and a plantable card.
- Salt Kissed Sun is inspired by milkshakes with friends at the corner shop after a day at the beach. It’s a textured, creamy, coconut-ty, boozy clarified milk punch. Made using coconut-washed rum; house-made macadamia orgeat; banana and pineapple whey; and calvados. Served with a mini suncream bottle.
- Save the Day is pretty much how we all felt when that ice cream truck tune came within earshot, right? Raspberry horchata (a creamy Mexican drink made by blending milk, rice, cinnamon, and raspberry); vanilla whey; vodka; and Saint Feliz aperitif are shaken and strained into a highball and topped with raspberry and vanilla foam. Then, add your choice of classic soft serve topping – 100s and 1000s or flake.
- Hawaiian or Margarita is made using house-made bacon-infused tequila; caramelised pineapple; Cointreau; roasted-tomato syrup; and lime. Served in a margarita glass with a dehydrated bacon rim and a shot of Coca-Cola on the side, it’s inspired by the team’s memories of Friday night takeaway pizza washed down with soft drink.
- Fruit Cup is a blended, boozy, fruit slushy inspired by the fruit cup snack. Peach three ways; cranberry; citrus; and cognac are blended then garnished with a roll-up style house-made fruit leather scroll.
- Pick Me is for the underdog – the black jellybean. This whiskey sour-based cocktail is anise flavoured and jet black thanks to vegetable carbon. Made with Monkey Shoulder whiskey; absinthe; green chartreuse, house-made black sesame, fennel and blackberry syrup; and egg white it’s then garnished with coloured jellybeans.
Relive the good old days, one sip at a time, and let the memories of visits from the ice cream truck, the smell of sunscreen on your skin, and simpler times wash over you.